I haven't done many recipes on this blog despite the fact that I bake fairly regularly. It's one of my new year last quarter of the year resolutions to start sharing more recipes because..it's something I enjoy. Plus my Great Grandma's recipe books would probably enjoy sharing what they know.
When you think of Christmas food you probably think of mince pies but not everyone likes mince pies, you always need a backup! and I have the perfect backup for you! Apple pie cupcakes are perfect for any occasion that brings families together because you get the good stuff (aka the apple pie) without any of the sharing (I can hear your cheers of joy already). Just add a little spice to make them more Christmas-sy and you have yourself a winning dessert!
The best thing is- is a fairly simple recipe! even I can make it

disclaimer: I don't like Apple Pie so I am relying on the word of the people I gave them to that they taste nice. enjoy!
For the topping you will need:
○ 40g Plain Flour   ○ ½tsp Ground Mixed Spice   ○ 40g Caster Sugar   ○ 25g Unsalted butter

For the cupcakes you will need: 
○ 150g Plain Flour   ○ 70g Demerara Sugar   ○ 50g Unsalted Butter   ○ 1 ½tsp Baking Powder   ○ ½tsp Ground Mixed Spice
○ 1 Egg- lightly beaten   ○ 1 Large Cooking Apple- peeled, cored and finely chopped   ○ 1tbsp Orange Juice

Preheat the oven to 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Put 12 paper cases in the muffin tin.

To make the topping:
○ Place the flour, mixed spice and caster sugar in a large bowl.
○ Add butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
○ Set aside.

To make the cupcakes:
○ Cream together the butter and demerara sugar until pale and fluffy.
○ Gradually beat in the egg.
○ Sift in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice and fold into the mixture, then fold in the orange juice and apple.
○ Spoon into cases.

○ Sprinkle the topping over the cupcakes and press down gently.

○ Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown
○ Leave the cupcakes in the tin for five minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
and there you have it! A very simple, very tasty cake that you can claim is a part of your five a day!
enjoy!

Let me know what you think and if you'll give it a go!
-
H